Foods To Avoid Feeding Dogs

Foods To Avoid Feeding Dogs

Foods to avoid feeding dogs

Chocolate is one of the foods to avoid feeding dogs

There are certain foods to avoid feeding dogs. There are various toxins in these foods that can cause serious damage to the dog’s organs or even death. Although some of these foods to avoid feeding dogs needs to be consumed in large amounts, some may only need to be consumed in small amounts. It also depends on the size of your dog. If your dog has consumed any of these foods to avoid feeding dogs, please call your vet asap. You should also be aware of the closest emergency vet hospital and keep their number handy. The ASPCA also has a poison control center that has helped me numerous times when my local vet wasn’t able to. Here is the number to the ASPCA poison control center: 1-888-426-4435. Please note that the ASPCA poison control center will charge a consultation fee.

Here is the list of foods to avoid feeding dogs, I have them listed in alphabetical order for quick and easy access if needed:

  • Alcohol: Even just a small amount of alcohol can be toxic to dogs. Alcohol will affect a dog’s liver and brain. And just a little can cause vomiting, diarrhea, loss of co-ordination, central nervous system depression and difficulty breathing.
  • Avocados: If a dog consumes avocados he may experience breathing difficulties and have fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen, or heart. No guacamole for your boy.
  • Caffeine: Chocolate, coffee, coffee grounds, energy drinks, soda pop, tea – all of these things have caffeine in them. Caffeine can cause restlessness, rapid breathing, and heart palpitations.
  • Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine. The darker the chocolate the more poisonous it is for your dog. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. Dogs that ate chocolate can experience: vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, coma, or death. People may not realize that chocolate mulch is deadly too, but it is.
  • Cooked bones: Feeding raw bones to your dog is fine and is encouraged (if you feed the right ones). But never feed cooked bones of any kind. Cooking bones dehydrates them and removes all the moisture in them, therefore making it possible to splinter, causing obstructions or lacerations anywhere in the digestive system.
  • Corn on the cob: The problem with corn on the cob is the cob. When your dog eats corn on the cob, he may swallow a large piece of the cob. The corn will be digested, but the cob will not possibly leading to a blockage.
  • Fat trimmings: Dogs that eat large amounts of fight could get a disease called pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a very painful disease where essentially the pancreas starts to digest itself. Pancreatitis can lead to diabetes or death.
  • Grapes and raisins: Researchers are not sure what is in grapes and raisins that make them toxic to dogs, but they are. Eating grapes or raisins can cause a range of symptoms from vomiting to kidney failure or even death.
  • Macadamia nuts and walnuts: These nuts are commonly used in cookies and sweets. However, ingesting only a few macadamia nuts or walnuts can cause: muscle tremors, weakness, vomiting, rapid heartbeat, or depression.
  • Milk products: Although not technically a toxin, dogs can not digest the lactose in milk products. This can create a range of digestive system upsets.
  • Onions, garlic, leeks and chives: Garlic in small amounts is a great immune supporter. But, you should not feed garlic in large quantities. And stay away from onions, leeks and chives. Onions, garlic, leeks and chives contain a sulfur substance which can cause anemia.
  • Over the counter medications: Never give any over the counter medications to your dog without the approval of your vet. There are many different things in over the counter medication that could cause a problem for your dog. Just to name a few, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or alcohol
  • Pits and seeds from apples, cherries, peaches, and plums: Aside from the pits potentially causing and obstruction, the seeds from these fruits contain the poisonous toxin cyanide.
  • Xylitol: Xylitol is a sugar substitute found in gum, baked goods, candy, and certain toothpastes. Xylitol causes an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog’s body. That can cause the blood sugar to drop and cause vomiting, lethargy, loss of co-ordination, seizures or liver failure.
  • Yeast dough: Unrised yeast dough will cause a problem because it will rise in your dog’s belly, which can cause painful gas accumulation and could cause the stomach or intestines to rupture. Also, as the dough ferments it releases alcohol which could cause alcohol poisoning.

As you can see there are lots of foods to avoid feeding dogs. You need to be proactive and do your best to keep these foods to avoid feeding dogs out of there reach. And despite all of your efforts, your dog may still eat one of the foods to avoid feeding dogs. Believe I know how some dogs are master thieves. I have my cabinets locked and velcroed shut because no matter what I do my dog will still open the cabinets and eat the foods to avoid feeding dogs.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *