If your family pet swallowed something dangerous, you must know how to make a dog throw up to remove the toxin or poison from their system. We’re here to help you. The first thing you should do is to contact the ASPCA poison control center (APCC) by phone 1-888-426-4435 or call your veterinarian. If your canine companion has ingested a sharp object or ate toxic contaminants a long time ago, your vet may not allow you to induce vomiting. So, let’s assume that you are told by your vet to make your dog throw up and now you are ready to do it.
What you must have at home to induce vomiting safely is a hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) bottle. Remember, this strong oxidizing agent starts to lose effectiveness instantly after you open the bottle, therefore you’ll need to use only good peroxide. You doubt that the germicidal agent you found in your medicine box is still fresh? Spill a little in the sink or on your hands. If bubbles appear, you can use it. However, if you don’t see it bubble, buy a new bottle.
Useful tips on how to make a dog throw up with a 3% hydrogen peroxide:
- Give your pet 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of peroxide for each 10 pounds they weigh. Thus, if your precious pup weighs 60 pounds, he should swallow 6 teaspoons or 30 ml of this agent.
- Making a dog ingest a cure may be a quite complicated procedure. Try to add small amounts of peroxide to food or water. If it doesn’t’ work, then you can syringe it directly in his mouth.
- It’s highly recommended to take him outside for over 15 minutes after the last time your dog threw
- Stroll around the yard slowly with your pet without an extra activity. Your dog may throw up after a 20-minute promenade.
- If your pet does not vomit within these 15-20 minutes, administer another dose of the cure.
- In total, it is safe to administer three doses to induce vomiting.
- If he does not throw up after all these procedures, you must contact your vet.
Now you’re ready to help your dog throw up harmful toxins or poisons and save his life.